Sunday 11 September 2011

I've opened my eyes

I haven't lived in Kenya long, and I haven't even seen half of the things that there is to see but honestly, I feel like I have seen enough to learn more about the difficulties in this world. I have learned more about problems, not omg-you're-hitting-on-my-boyfriend problems, but real problems that actually takes a lot of energy to fix. I've noticed how self-fish so many people are around the world, including myself. For a long time, I have been complaining about my problems. Yes, they have hurt me and yes, it has taken time for me to get over somethings but at least it is/was fixable unlike many things I have seen here. Many many sad things.
I think it all started when I went to visit the school, it didn't hit me as hard there but I noticed how different it is in the class rooms. They couldn't even afford floors in the classrooms and this school was also suppose to be a bit fancier. But when it all really hit me, was when I went and helped out at an orphanage last Friday. I remember looking into a little baby girls eyes, and I was about to cry. She had been found somewhere and her death had been very close but they managed to save her, but still, she was parentless. I carried her for a long time and didn't want to let her go. The tiniest baby I have ever seen. Then there was a boy, about three years old, who hugged my legs and almost refused to let me go. They were all lucky to be alive of course, but thinking of how well I and so many others have it, it just isn't fair. Especially when I come to think of the fact that almost half of them, or half of Africa are suffering from HIV or AIDS. It is horrible, beyond sad and heartbreaking. I made a promise right there and then that one day, when I am older of course, I will be back and adopt a child because I saw how many kids need that, to be adopted; to have a family.
Then yesterday, I went together with a few from the boarding to a gospel concert which was outside somewhere. There is this place here called Kibera, very poor, and dusty but there are millions of people living there. The concert was right outside and almost everyone that was at the concert lived in Kibera. The concert was about God trying to make Kibera a better place. A wonderful belief and for some people, God and hope is the only thing they have. When I came there with my friends, us being white, it was almost like a miracle for them. People, mostly kids came up to me and started grabbing my hand, asking me to come back for them, hugging me. All of them were wearing dusty and broken clothes. When we were going to take the bus back, they started pulling us, trying to force us to stay with them and when the bus started driving, hundreds of kids started chasing after us, hitting the bus. There were so many mixed feelings, but now I notice, my problems, all the past drama, everything, is nothing compare to this. Compare to hunger and starvation.



1 comment:

  1. I'm so proud of you for writing this. miss you, let's talk soon, okay? (:

    ReplyDelete