Wednesday 8 February 2012

Dyscalculia

Do you guys have a learning disability? Example, dyslexia? Well I do, one very close to dyslexia but it has more to do with numbers; dyscalculia. Obviously, I'd ask to not have a learning disability at all, but i'd do anything to trade dyscalculia with dyslexia. Now, that is not because it is easier to live with dyslexia because it is probably not. The reason is because there are more people with dyslexia and it was discovered a lot sooner, and because of that, there are more people who understands it and can actually help with it. There are a lot of ways to deal with people having problems with reading and writing: getting longer time to finish a book or an essay, getting an easier essay question or an easier version of a book. In writing, there are no right or wrong answers, I would know considering the fact that I love writing more than anything but in 1 math problem, there is just one answer and if you go wrong somewhere, the entire answer is wrong. Can you guys imagine how much struggle that is for one person who can hardly even count? It sucks, getting almost every math problem wrong and knowing that not even studying can fix that. It is just something I am born with, it is stuck in my brain and people don't get that. I can't fix that, just like any math problem. Did you guys know that if a child is suffering from dyscalculia, they would do so much better in all the other subjects as long as they do not study math? For the future, I hope teachers will learn about this before getting a job, especially math teachers because I do not think I have ever had one single teacher who knows how to deal with it. "Study more" they say but what they don't understand is that it wouldn't matter because I can't spend every second studying math when there is so much other things going on. I am a teenager; yes, I have to study, I have to think about my future (even though I personally prefer not too, I just take each and every day as it comes) but as a teenagers, I also deserve to have fun. Now if I study even more math than I already do, my fun would go away which would not only suck but also be completely unnecassary because I do have dyscalculia and no math book or a few math problems can take that away. I know I earlier wrote that I do not really think about the future but for those of you who do: PLEASE, find studies and cures, anything about dyscalculia, for the sake of the people who will one day discover that they have it. No child deserves to struggle the way I have because I do try living in the present but the future is still worrying; math is important to many people so as long as I can't handle it, I won't be important, and what will then happen to me? Maybe one day, I'll try to do something about dyscalculia, 'cause I hope that it will be better taken care of in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Learn other more about it! Help kids with it and learn more about it. Its so good!!!! Heeelllppppp !!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have got a lot of help from teachers, and they know how to help. Work on ask other adults around you. We with duscalculi are smarter then other.

    ReplyDelete